The 128T Networking Platform Solution
Which metaphor best describes your network infrastructure? An original equipment manufactured engine purring along like it’s run less than 10,000 miles? Or a patchwork of after-market parts running a little rough and you’re wondering what each new rattle or ping really means? If you were honest, it would be the latter – and you’re not alone.
At 128 Technology, they are rethinking routing. If networking functionality can be software-based, that means the whole model of routing can be re-evaluated. It means that state can be introduced into a router, which means everything AROUND the router in the old model can be taken and made native to the router itself.
128T also believe that routers can finally be much smarter about the packets they are forwarding. They can provide visibility into (and control over) key information describing a unique, bi-directional exchange between source and destination endpoints — what 128T calls sessions — and apply security, performance, and control functions to the entire session.
This means that routers can create rules for users and services and easily apply those rules in the router, enabling a far tighter alignment between the network and applications it supports.
Built-in Zero-Trust Security
While a move to HTTPS may have resulted in increased security (and for some, improved Google page rankings), many enterprises saw negative effects regarding network performance. This has to do with how Next Generation Firewalls (NGFW) treat HTTPS traffic and the prevalence of NGFWs across the internet.
Because of the way NGFW treat HTTPS traffic, it is very difficult to create networks with built-in Zero Trust Security (ZTS) using a NGFW – because the Zero Trust Network model requires the network to be segmented and have a routing/firewall device at the boundary of every segment. Imagine the expense and operational burden of doing that!
Since the NGFW functionality usually requires an expensive custom build hardware, their use as the sole network security device is typically limited to the edge. Still, because end-to-end encryption is enabled by default with HTTPS, the value of NGFW and other middleboxes which rely on cleartext layer 5-7 is going to come with latency caveats.
So, how is 128T fixing it?
They are fixing networking through their core foundational principles:
- Secure Vector Routing (SVR): is not another device nor conventional software defined router. SVR is a session-oriented approach for building context-aware networks that can easily, dynamically and securely stretch across network boundaries.
- Service Orientation: This service-centric approach is far more intuitive from a provisioning and administration perspective. Instead of mapping services through many networking layers to determine how to provision the network, 128 Technology’s data model is based directly on services, tenants, and policies.
- Zero-Trust Security and Session Orientation: Because every 128 Technology router has knowledge of every tenant, along with the service topology, access control and policy can be easily baked into every possible route on the network on a session-by-session basis. As a result, you can segment the network on an incredibly granular level, end-to-end across the entire network. So while traditional traffic isolation and segmentation requires complex physical network separation techniques and/or overlays, the 128T Networking Platform can provide greater isolation in a more dynamic (and more simple) manner.
How’s that for Zero-Trust?
By focusing on services across all network functions, the 128T Platform provides consistent management of services, tenants, and policies ensuring dependable security.
The simplicity of their data model and reduction in network complexity provide management agility to quickly deploy and integrate new, revenue-generating services. With fewer functions to manage and session analytics to quickly isolate problems, their solution reduces operational expenditures for enterprises.
By rethinking routing, 128 Technology uniquely delivers service-oriented management, transforming network operations.
tCognition and 128 Technology
We’re proud 128 Technology partners!.
128 Technology understands that for many companies, the network is a core part of their business — and in some cases — the network is their core business. They have developed the software-based 128T Networking Platform (128T), which uses a Secure Vector Routing architecture to take everything around the router and introduce state into the router itself.
This approach disrupts the traditional networking paradigm, but doesn’t disrupt your existing network infrastructures. The benefits of implementing 128 Technology with tCognition are as follows:
- Zero Trust Security: Firewall capabilities are native to the 128T Platform. Because every 128 Technology router has knowledge of every tenant, along with the service topology, access control and policy can be easily baked into every possible route on the network on a session-by-session basis. As a result, you can segment the network on an incredibly granular level, end-to-end across the entire network without any complex physical network separation techniques and/or overlays.
- Reduce Costs: Traditional business models charge for overprovisioned bandwidth capacity and charge an annual maintenance fee. The 128T success based pricing model charges for network wide utilization, does not charge for scale out or dispersion, and will lower your CAPEX by roughly +60%.
- Easy to Manage: Session orientation is key for segmenting the network. This service-centric approach is far more intuitive from a provisioning and administration perspective. Instead of mapping services through many networking layers to determine how to provision the network, the 128T data model uses business logic and is based directly on services, tenants, and policies.
We look forward to working with and supporting 128 Technology in taking on the challenge of natively providing network-based security, control, and optimization of overly complex networks. Let us know how we can engage you in a discussion and show you how we can help reshape the way you design, deploy, and operate real-world networks by making them dramatically simpler, smarter, and more secure — along with 128 Technology!